Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Paying Attention


Evelyn: I am fascinated by the plant that grows in my courtyard. It has thick flat leaves, and new ones start as a horn-like spike before they roll out. It provides a bit of shade, but mostly, it talks sort of friendly. I don't hear it, I feel it "friendly." That alone makes me feel welcome when I return home.

Monica: How easy it is not to see the beauty right in front of me as each moment passes. I find myself taking for granted the warmth and light of the sun, the crisp fall air, the way the light hits a patch of fern leaves just so and highlights the little bits of brown decay at their tips. There are new mushrooms, feathery clouds, a patch of dandelions waving their yellow heads in the breeze. There are golden leaves creating a crunchy carpet beneath my feet. I see these things every day, but then again, maybe I don't. I have to force myself to pay attention, to appreciate, to say thank you for the grace of another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment