Monday, October 17, 2011

Evening Conversations


Monica: I'm talking to my sister on the phone. It's after 6:00 p.m. and neither of us has captured an image for the day. "Let's just do a self-portrait already," I say. After a few shots in the mirror, I share my observation: "You know, in your 30's, you really start to notice that you're aging. It's just a hint, but there it is: a loosening of the skin on your bones, a shifting of your features that makes you a little unrecognizable to yourself in pictures. You notice that you're not you anymore. You're someone else." Evelyn sucks in her breath and says in that big sister knowing voice, the one that hints at mysteries unknown to me because I haven't crossed that bridge yet, "Yeah, just wait! In your 40's, you wonder what happened to your eyes, you need glasses. Things start to get saggy. And there are weird bumps." "Bumps?!" And then the conversation dissolves into peals of laughter.

Evelyn: Tired eyes. Feels good to be home, where I can put things away and not think about them until tomorrow. Where I can sit on speaker phone and jabber with my sister, while snapping secret desperate pictures, last minute, last moment, just so I can go to bed and rest my tired eyes. 

1 comment:

  1. Excellent self portraits. Now I know why I do not get a phone call from my angel face in Florida. Too busy talking to her babysister.
    I need a call from her.
    I love you, both.

    ReplyDelete