Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Happy to Be Home


Evelyn: In and out. I've been doing a lot of running around between getting up at 5:15 a.m. to get Justin to school, and later ME to work, then leaving early to get Justin from Starbucks less than a mile from school. My keys waiting by the door to head out or check back in. My new house key has a monkey on it. It reminds me of my sister. I have to get used to having more than a car key, being that the last 12 years were spent with a garage door opener and a car key only. But I love my monkey—always happy to be home.

Monica: We went kayaking on the Albion river this afternoon. We were the only ones on the river and once we rounded a couple of bends, we were immersed in that stillness that feels miles away from the noise & haste of human activity. Then I realized that we live in a place where it takes most people 2-4 hours to get to, to get away from civilization and all its demands, to go someplace where they can feel enveloped by beauty and solitude. We are lucky to be in nature from the moment we step outside our door. I miss civilization sometimes, but mostly I prefer this, the majesty of towering redwood forests, the vast sparkling ocean, and miles and miles of landscape untouched by pavement, buildings, and billboards. 

No comments:

Post a Comment