Saturday, May 21, 2011

Feathered Friends


Evelyn: Lee Ann flowed in, with shuttering feathers and brilliant color, to sit for brunch among other women of a local Red Hat Society group. Her hat was stunning, playful, and her energy genuine, graceful, and connected. I was pleased, when I asked for a picture, of the ladies' willingness to let me dance around with my camera - and pleased more that I was brave enough to ask.

Warning
When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick the flowers in other people's gardens
And learn to spit...

(just a piece of the Red Hat Poems by Jenny Joseph)

Monica: Walking back to the campground, a hummingbird bumbled past my shoulder and perched unsteadily on the nearest branch of the nearest tree. I got still and watched him for awhile, then slowly crept a little closer. Through my lens, I could make out downy feathers under his belly and tail feathers. I figured this hummy was just learning to fly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment