Thursday, March 31, 2011

Laughter & Light


Monica: Adriana & Kevin are my lifeline to civilization. Their home is home when I go on a supply run to Santa Rosa or need to pick someone up at the airport in San Francisco. I can drive the 2½ hours to their house and know that I am welcome there, that I will have a soft warm bed to sleep in, good food and wine, HGTV, and lots of laughter. It makes the long drive to civilization something I look forward to, an opportunity to see these precious friends.

Evelyn: Storms moving hurriedly, pushing through the trees and palms with stubborn effort. I found myself in the dark, quiet, noticing just how hushed things are when not even power is moving through. I hadn't realized how loud this space could be, even when sitting quietly, until there was nothing to make noise but the popping of my candles, the frogs outside, and my own breath. It feels nice here, like sitting among the legs of redwoods, the humidity from the storms buffering my sense of space, holding me, tentative and present.

No comments:

Post a Comment