Friday, March 25, 2011

Water Drops


Monica: More rain, and I wonder if it will ever let up. Too many days of this and I become restless and depressed, craving the light and warmth of the sun on my face. It becomes too easy to stay cooped up indoors with a book and a bottomless mug of tea, but it doesn't dispel my need for sunshine. I have to keep reminding myself that the rain is a good thing—it purifies the air and nourishes the earth. And it coats leaves and flowers with great round drops of water that are fun to photograph, if I can stay still enough. 

Evelyn: Friday was a long day, full of travel and meeting new people, and soul care... and in a brief moment I had an unexpected photo-opportunity.  One of the herons I find most curious hung out in the retention pond in front of a clients office, doing his food dance. These creatures are oddly ugly and beautiful at the same time. Their heads are rough and speckled and leathery, their plumage white and elegant. They do a dance, shaking a leg under the water stirring up the algae and plants, while their beaks are spread open like a trap, awaiting any opportunity that might emerge. I watched for a good 3 minutes before he got spooked by my distance, and then both of us scattered off to our flocks...

No comments:

Post a Comment