Saturday, March 12, 2011

Refrain

 
Evelyn:  I was gifted a lesson in swing dance…and with an American Graffiti theme (with ice cream social) I had the experience of whimsically swirling, rocking, and swinging with several different partners. My favorites were the experienced older men, with their cologne and bowling shirts, grinning at my happy red sneakers, and one red-headed teenage wonder, whose sneakers moved with such enthusiasm I giggled with his playful grace. I didn't have to refrain, letting my body trust each new partner, being pushed into all kinds of amazing moves. I wasn't self-conscious, nor did I stand on the sidelines. I wore a grin from ear to ear and when asked by strangers, "Would you like to dance?" I popped up to trot across the dance floor with fervor.  Red converse sneakers make it impossible not to wiggle.

Monica: I caught the cleaning bug today and found this package of dark chocolate(!) peanut butter cups stashed amidst my art supplies. I remember when Michael brought home a small grocery bag-full of candy that was "on sale." He is an all-or-nothing guy who, once he starts in, cannot refrain from polishing off a whole bag of candy in one sitting. The peanut butter cups were for me, but I knew if I didn't eat them then, he would eat them for me. So I stashed them and promptly forgot about them. I did not hesitate to eat them and since Michael is in a "nothing" phase right now, I didn't have to share. 

2 comments:

  1. Individuals who make their abode in vitreous edifices would be well advised to refrain from catapulting projectiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss my red converse sneakers. My black ones with the pink trim are wearing out...maybe I could go back to red.

    ~Emma

    ReplyDelete