Saturday, February 12, 2011

Gap


Evelyn: I got to thinking that between all things, even down to a molecular level, there are gaps. That closeness is all relative to when a connection is felt, and that the gap that still exists holds us as individuals, separate. I spent the day at Disney, and by the end of the day my already tender sciatic decided to spread its distress through my entire left hip and into my left thigh and knee. As I stretched, pressing my feet together in the locker room, I was greatly aware of the gaps between my two feet, in the ways I am all one piece yet unconnected enough to create spaces, the space that allow things to move internally: the gaps in my spine and how the muscles hold. I was also aware of the connection between my friend and I, and the inherent gaps no matter how much connection exists, that it is filled by the mind and spirit more than mass and physical contact.

Monica: There's a gap under our porch that I suspect hides a direct passage to the inside walls of our house. In the darkest hours of morning, I've been startled awake by a small animal's muffled screaming, followed by the unmistakable and increasingly unbearable stink of skunk. The first time it happened was right before my family arrived for the holidays. Our house reeked of skunk for over a week.  It happened again a few nights ago. I cannot figure out what is going on. Is something swift and slithery dragging its screaming prey "home" somewhere in our walls?  Or do we have a couple of skunks mating behind our bathroom sink? I'm not sure what the right course of action is to take in this situation. How do you get rid of a skunk?

1 comment: