Sunday, April 10, 2011

Selective Focus


Monica: The days are getting longer and the light has noticeably changed. Gone is that golden winter light that I love so much. I'm not complaining. I love the longer days, the brighter sun, and the slightly warmer weather. Today I caught a patch of sunlight hitting the flowering cherry tree in the middle of the driveway. I decided only to take my Lensbaby on my photo walk today and got some lovely shots. I love how the cherry tree looks like an explosion of blossoms. Within a couple of weeks, these blooms will be gone and the tree will be greening up for summer.

Evelyn: Justin has been having weekly pow-wow's with one of his Rubix's idols. They sit for hours, discussing, analyzing, teaching, blind solving, inventing, breaking down, and solving cubes. I am blown away at the mere fact that they can spend 4+ hours doing this, AND tonight I had to prod them to wrap it up (the mall was closing for the night). The focus and intensity of their discussions, which sound like a foreign language to me - include terms like algorithm, primes, sub-primes, and coded directions - make my head spin. AND I love the level of learning that bounces back and forth at the table, like a ping-pong ball, between a math professor and a complete math-minded teen.

No comments:

Post a Comment