Thursday, February 24, 2011

Moving


Evelyn: Today was a hefty disappointment because I waited all day for the shuttle launch and took the word of some schmuck who escaped from the building to announce the shuttle launch was scrapped, only to find that I had MISSED the launch because they just delayed it a few extra minutes. Dejected, thinking the clouds were in the way and NASA had given up, I returned indoors, with empty camera. I decided to play instead with my son and a new trick with settings (God-willing I figure out how to set it right again so I can take real pictures tomorrow) and we did our own series of moving light indoors, together, playfully, after 10 p.m., and that seemed almost better than the launch simply for the curiosity of all the ways we could play with a light.


Monica: Perhaps my favorite gift to give (and receive) is an experiential one, especially since it's more often than not a shared experience. Michael got his birthday present today, a two-hour tour of the redwood canopy via zipline and suspension bridges. We're both acrophobic and I had some apprehension about hurtling over 150 feet above the forest floor at over 30 mph attached to a cable. My fears were eased with the training practice on the bunny slope and all the different safeties in place. When the time came to stand on the edge of a platform and let go, it was easy, and I could revel in the feeling of moving across the forest and seeing it from a perspective I've never experienced before. It was a blast.

1 comment:

  1. Common sense and a sense of humour are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humour is just common sense, dancing.
    -- Clive James

    ReplyDelete