Friday, July 8, 2011

Pie & Burger


Evelyn: This morning I adventured out less than a mile from Les and Delene's to the Dairy Inn, a small greasy spoon-type eatery that hid a plethora of yummies behind a very misleading name. Aside from fresh ice cream, they happen to house some of the best fresh beignets in town—an unexpected item. I was referred by a friend who was certain I would just drool. I didn't stop there, I ended up scarfing a fresh, hand-formed, beefy burger (note the massive handful of napkins they grace your burger with) after my beignet and coffee—quite a combination in the storming lightning-wrought neighborhood, weathering wind and rain to enjoy a filling meal. Apparently the only way to manage the lunch crowds is to come in a storm. When it is sunny there is a line around the building and limited parking. The place has been there for 60+ years, and lives in the original Dairy Queen for the Tampa area. The foodie-owner, who loves his little greasy spoon, got curious about my picture-taking and we chatted for a good 30 minutes while I finished off that beast of a burger. Droolicious. 

Monica: A few days ago, our garden coordinator brought me a bunch of rhubarb from the kitchen garden and I had no idea what I'd do with it all. Then today our local market was having a sale on strawberries, so somehow I got it into my head that I should bake a strawberry-rhubarb pie. From scratch.  I don't know how it is I've never baked a pie from scratch before, being that when it comes to food, I'm generally a made-from-scratch kind of girl. Then I started doing some research and realized with dread that making pie crust is a meticulous art that's likely far more trouble than it's worth. But I already had my ingredients, a simple enough recipe, and time on my hands, so what the heck....Five hours later, out came a beautifully golden, bubbling pie. It needs to cool, so we won't be tucking into it until tomorrow, I expect. But now I can say I've baked a pie from scratch.

No comments:

Post a Comment