Friday, January 21, 2011

Future


Evelyn:  So much is about perspective... and I struggled to find what would represent my definition of "future." However, here I stood early this morning in a small forest of blossoms just after a light rain... and I see that I never really know what the future offers. I can hold ideas, dreams, beliefs about my future—and even HOPE for the future possibilities, just as the blossom holds the collective rain. Yet, ultimately, even the collective dew, part of my world for just an instant, was an unexpected moment as I step into future, from moment, and away from past. I don't know what will happen with that drop, clinging to the fine hairs of her pistil, like a hand holding possibilities, nor do I know how far that dream will move, drop, spread... other than what it holds at this moment, and that is alright ... I like not knowing exactly how my future will move, other than holding in my hands my collective potential.


Monica: I'm not one for planning too far into the future. Ask me where I envision myself in five years and your answer will likely be a long, blank look. I really couldn't tell you, because I don't know what I will want for myself next week, let alone in five years. This can be challenging, especially living in a goal-oriented society where most people can't get by without some organizing technology (PDA/phone/day planner) to remind them of their endless To Do list that, once completed, will bring them one step closer to the happiness they strive for. I tend to favor the "life is a journey, not a destination" approach to things, which favors spontaneity and flexibility. Thus, I am able to decide at a moment's notice that, yes, I do want to see this band I've never heard of play at the Caspar Inn. It's a venue I've never been to before, in spite of it being less than a mile from my house and hailed as THE best place to hear live music in this county.

No comments:

Post a Comment