Monday, January 24, 2011

Bulky



Monica: I cringe at the word: bulky. I think of overstuffed chairs, soggy diapers, and dusty sacks of rice at a Chinese market. I also think of the bag of beautiful yarn that cost over $100, which I bought nearly 5 years ago in the hopes of knitting myself a sweater. After completing the back and ripping out the front twice, I gave up in frustration. Now it sits in a purple tote bag, shoved in the back of a closet, waiting for me to get up the nerve to start again. 

Evelyn: The joy of foods, combined in ways I never would have imagined, the chub of grains pressing on the edges of a thin wheat wrap, and the tender flavor of sprouts and sweet potato in tangy parsley drizzle, almost too much to savor. The bulky nourishment, filling me up with gratitude, not only for the food, but also the embracing joy of Ralph, whose eager smile and cascading love for the world made for the perfect dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment